Anti-dandruff shampoos are flooding the market, but why not experiment with some stuff from your kitchen? It’s fun, easy and effective.
Dandruff is a common problem of flaking of dead skin cells when the scalp is dry and this problem aggravates in winters. Here are some home grown remedies but before trying them it’s best to have your scalp checked by your hairstylist or dermatologist as to whether it is just a dry scalp or dandruff because treatment of both differ.
1. Vinegar (white vinegar) The antifungal properties of vinegar help in getting rid of the dandruff causing fungus. It also gets you rid of the dead skin cells that cause flakiness. Mix ½ cup of white vinegar with ½ cup of water and massage it to the scalp for few minutes. Keep the mix on hair for about half an hour and rinse off with lukewarm water. Repeat this once or twice a week to get benefitted.
2. Lemon Most of us know this remedy of dandruff. The acids present in fresh lemon makes it an effective fungicide fighting the dandruff. Just take 2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and massage it over the scalp for a few minutes. If want to keep for longer keep it for not more than 1-2 hours and then wash off.
3. Baking Soda It has antifungal properties and it also acts as an exfoliator removing the dead skin cells from the scalp. Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 1 cup of water. Rinse hair with this mix and remember no shampoo while doing this. First few days the scalp will feel dry but later it will regain the natural oils making the hair soft and without dandruff.
4. Aspirin The presence of salicylic acid in aspirin makes it a cure for dandruff. Take 2 aspirins crush them into powder and mix with some amount of shampoo and wash your hair with it. Wash your hair with just shampoo again.
5. Tea Tree Oil It has antifungal properties removing and reduces the itchiness. Take few drops of Tea Tree oil and mix it with your shampoo and wash. Tea Tree oil can also be combined with Aloe Vera gel and applied on the scalp like a pack. Leave it for some time and rinse off.
6. Fenugreek Rich in protein and amino acids fenugreek seeds enhance hair growth and strength. Fenugreek also helps in getting rid of dead skin. Take fenugreek seeds and soak them overnight in 1-2 cup of water. Grind them in fine paste next morning and apply to the scalp. After one hour wash off with shampoo.
7. Neem It fights fungus and relieves itching. Neem leaves can be applied as a paste and left for few minutes and washed off. Alternately, take handful of leaves and boil them in water, let it stay overnight and next morning wash hair with the neem water. Wash off with shampoo.