Does face brushing actually make your skin glowing? Dr Chiranjiv Chhabra explains what it does and how it is done.
You must be well aware of the benefits of dry brushing your body – exfoliation, stimulating the lymphatic system and minimising cellulite. But do you know about face brushing?
Your face is exposed to a lot of external factors that can cause harm, therefore, it is important to maintain a proper skincare regimen. While exfoliation is an important step, a procedure like face brushing can be a good replacement for the harsh exfoliation techniques as the facial skin, especially around the eyes is much more sensitive than your body. It is a process of stimulating the lymph nodes of the face using a special brush designed for this, the one that is much softer and gentler. Some of the recommended brushes are Clinique Sonic System Purifying Cleansing Brush, Olay Pro-X Microdermabrasion Advanced Cleansing System and Proactiv+ Deep Cleansing Brush.
Proper technique to do it:
- Wash your face properly. It is important to make sure that the skin is clean and free of dirt or makeup so that no pores are exposed leading to skin irritation. Pat the skin dry gently using a towel.
- Take the brush and follow gentle upward movements. Start with light strokes in circular motion from your neck and work your way upwards. Make sure not to stretch your skin much. Be extremely gentle around the eyes as the skin is the thinnest here.
- Once done, rinse your face with water and apply a suitable moisturiser or serum.
- Remember that face brushing is a form of exfoliation. Therefore, twice or thrice a week would be more than enough.
- The most important benefit is that it removes the layer of dead cells, reducing dullness, clearing clogged pores and making the skin healthy.
- It improves blood circulation which gives a natural glow and leads to a younger looking skin. It helps in skin rejuvenation.
- This massaging routine makes the skin firm, reduces wrinkles, delays premature ageing and improves its texture.
- This technique is quiet soothing. It reduces muscle tension and provides relief from stress.