KNOCK OFF THE TAN
Scorching sun stealing your radiance and leaving you tanned? Try these DIY remedies to get rid of the pigmentation.
Summer is at its peak and so is the skin damage from UV rays of the sun. No matter how much we try to protect excessive sun exposure makes our skin tanned. But we can reverse the damage. How? In-salon and cosmetic treatments are ready solution but I prefer turning to my kitchen for remedies. Our modest cabinets often have all the ingredients that we could need remove tan and get back the natural skin tone. The idea is to know what works and therefore, what to look for. Here are a few home-made skin care tips or rather say concoctions that can help in that:
1) Turmeric and Bengal gram pack: We all know that turmeric’s anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties benefit the skin not only when ingested but also when applied topically. Turmeric brightens the skin and speeds up the healing process. Take a pinch of turmeric powder, 2 tbsp. Bengal gram flour, 1 tbsp. rose water and milk and mix them to form a pack. You can also add 1 tbsp. of powdered orange peel to make it more beneficial. Apply the pack on affected areas for 20 minutes and when it’s dry apply bit of water to moisten it and remove it while scrubbing for better results.
2) Lemon and cucumber mix: Mix 2 tbsp. of lemon juice, juice of one cucumber and rose water. Apply the mix on affected areas with a cotton ball. Cucumber and rose water tend to soothe the skin while lemon helps de-tan but when lemon is applied alone it might be harsh for the skin. Wash off the mix after 20-30 minutes with plain water. Daily application can show better results.
3) Yoghurt, tomato and cucumber pack: Take 1 cup yoghurt, juice of one grated cucumber, pulp of 1 tomato and ½ cup gram flour. Mix them well and apply for 30 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water. This pack will not only get rid of the tan but also tighten the pores and reduce redness of the skin if any.
4) Masoor dal, tomato and aloe pack: Masoor dal or red lentil is nutritious when ingested and acts effectively to remove the tan when applied topically. Take 1 tbsp. masoor dal, 1 tbsp. tomato paste and aloe gel, mix them to form a pack. Apply this pack on affected areas and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash off with normal water.
5) Papaya and honey pack: Papaya has papain enzymes that dissolve the dead skin and leave it bright and renewed. Honey being the natural humectant hydrates the skin. Blend ½ cup mashed papaya and 1 tbsp. honey. Apply it for 30 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
6) Strawberry and milk cream pack: No this is not for eating. Take 4-5 strawberries and crush them, mix 2 tbsp. fresh milk cream to form a paste. Leave it for 30 minutes after applying. Rinse off. Those with oily skin should avoid trying it because the milk cream might give them breakouts.
7) Potato and lemon juice: Grate a potato and squeeze out its juice, add 1 tbsp. lemon juice to it. Apply and let it stay for 30 minutes or till it dries. Wash off with cold water.