More than sweetening your morning lemonades, tea or coffee, honey can also make you gorgeous. Here is how you can infuse this sweet nourishment in your daily skincare.
After being recommended by nutritionist, dieticians and loved by weight watchers, honey has now found its way to our beauty routines. And this addition is not new found, for centuries it has been used by our ancestors to bring out the natural radiance of the skin. The natural sweetener is a popular kitchen staple which is also amazing for your skin thanks to the antibacterial, antifungal properties, antioxidants and nutritional value. Whether you consume it or apply it topically the natural humectant nourishes the skin, leaving it clean, moisturised, brighter and youthful.
Here are a few beauty benefits that would help you know this skin-saving sweetener a little better:
– Cleanses: Also known as the natural cleanser it clarifies the skin and keeps the pores clear. Moreover, the antibacterial properties inhibit bacterial buildup thus preventing breakouts. And you can easily replace your face wash with it as the sweet stuff won’t strip off natural oils from your skin.
TIP: Use it as you would cleanse with your face wash, take a dollop of honey and apply it on a wet face. Rinse it with lukewarm water and pat dry. And here you have a skin that looks and feels soft and supple.
– Moisturises: If you are looking for a DIY treatment that could rejuvenate and hydrate your parched skin then honey is the perfect solution. The natural humectant attracts and maintains moisture, leaving you a smooth and radiant glow.
TIP: Just apply one tsp of honey on a clean and dry face and keep it for 15-20 minutes. Wash it with lukewarm water.
– Exfoliates: It proves to be an excellent exfoliator. The sweet golden liquid sloughs off the dead skin cells to bring out a glowing complexion and also preventing blackheads and whiteheads, which further lead to breakouts.
TIP: Take honey, lemon juice and sugar. Mix them well and rub the scrub gently on the skin. Leave it for 15 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water. Repeat this at least once a week.
– Clears acne: Acne can be difficult to deal with and if left unattended they can leave behind stubborn scars. The sweet skin nourisher can help in treating acne by keeping the pores clean and unclogged, preventing the build-up of oil and dirt. The antiseptic and antibacterial properties keep a check on the breeding of bacteria which results in breakouts.
TIP: Apply small amount of honey on the affected areas and let it stay for 15 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
– Anti-ageing: A sweet way to slow the process of skin ageing is using honey in your daily beauty routine. Legendary beauties like Cleopatra are known to use raw honey as a skin treatment to keep looking young. Lack of moisture causes fine lines, wrinkles and pigmentation prematurely, the hydrating and anti-inflammatory properties of honey conditions the skin, helping you achieve a youthful and fresh look.
TIP: Mix one tbsp of honey with three drops of lavender essential oil. Apply the mixture on wet face for easy application. Leave it for 15 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
– Gives an even toned complexion: Full of antioxidants and nutrients, this healthy sweetener gives your complexion a boost whether you add it in your drink, cereal or face mask. The anti-inflammatory properties help in reducing scars, blemishes, pigmentation and stimulate the cell renewal process, healing the skin.
TIP: Blend together one tsp honey, one tsp coconut oil or olive oil. Apply it on your face with finger tips, gently massaging in circular motions for about two minutes. Place a hot towel on your face and sit back till cool. Wash with lukewarm water.
So it’s time to go natural with your skincare routine as the powerful ingredient has all that your skin needs.