With all eyes set on the red carpet appearances of Sonam Kapoor and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, here’s our interpretation of their best looks.
When we’re talking about Bollywood’s tryst with Cannes two names that we can’t miss are – Sonam Kapoor and Aishwarya Rai Bachahan. Like always there are hits and misses in the appearances, but we’ve picked and analysed three that caught our attention – and are wearable.
Sonam’s first appearance this year, was in a white saree-inspired ensemble, paired with dewy makeup. The focus was on her eyes with highlights of brown, and her pout shaded in nude pink. Here’s how we’d channel this look:
Nail the look:
2) Apply a primer on face and neck.
3) Take a foundation brush and evenly apply a liquid foundation. You can use Stila Illuminating Liquid Foundation or Clinique Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup. Blend it properly using a sponge. Set the foundation using loose powder.
4) Highlight inner corners of the eyes with gold eye liner. Try L’Oreal Paris Infalliable Silkissime Eye Liner in Gold or M.A.C Superslick Liquid Eye Liner in Pure Show. Take the liner and near the lash line, start drawing a golden line from the tear duct extending it till the center of the eye. For upper lash line start from innermost corner and take it all the way to the outer corner.
5) Take an eyeshadow palette, L’Oreal Paris La Palette in Nude Beige. Apply golden brown all over the eye lid. Next, shade the outer crease just below the brow bone with bronze eye shadow.
6) Now pick the darkest brown shade and start drawing from the outer corner of the eyes (where the brow ends) with broad strokes, extending it up to three-fourth of the crease. Just remember as you come from outer side to inner side the stroke should become narrow. Blend all the shades properly.
7) Now with a dark brown liner define the lower lash line from the outer corner to the center of the eye, smudging it. We recommend L’Oreal Paris Superliner Gel Intenza in Brown or Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Liner in Chocolate Shimmer Ink.
8) Line the eyes with black kohl or an eye liner. We suggest Lakme Absolute Gel Addict in Must Have or L’Oreal Paris Infalliable Silkissime Eyeliner in Black.
9) Finish off the look with an orange blush and a light pink lip colour. We recommend Maybelline Color Show Matte Lipstick in Pop of Pink or L’Oreal Paris Infalliable Lipstick in Unending Kiss 112. For blush you can try L’Oreal Luscent Magique in Sunset Glow or M.A.C Powder Blush in Modern Mandarin.
In her second appearance she wore an exclusive couture Ralph and Russo gown, pairing it with light hues of pink on cheeks, lips and eyes.
Nail the look:
First four steps remain same as above.
1) Next take a gold eyeshadow, using a brush start applying it from the innermost corner of the eyes, extend it up to the brows and stop at the center of the eyes. Now choose a peach eyeshadow and apply it on the remaining upper eye lid. Blend both the shades well starting from the lash line to the brow bone. We recommend Bobbi Brown Nude Glow Bronze Eye Palette and L’Oreal Paris La Palette in Nude Rose.
2) With a soft brown eyeshadow make a smudged line under the lower lash line starting from the inner corner taking it to outer corner of the eyes, extend it further taking it up creating a wing. You can deepen this using a gel liner.
3) Curl your lashes and coat them with mascara, applying it from the root to the tip. We recommend Maybelline The Colossal Volum Express Mascara and Lancome Hypnose Drama Instant Full Body Volume Mascara in Excessive Black.
4) Apply an orange blush on the cheeks and complete the look with a light pink lipstick and top it with a golden gloss to add a bit of spark. You can try Bobbi Brown Lip Color in Pale Pink or Inglot Lipstick 106 and for glossy shine go for Sephora Glossy Gloss in Marquisette or L’Oreal Paris Infalliable Mega Gloss in Disco Ball 210.
Another look that we are obsessing about is that of Aishwarya Rai Bachchan with a deep scarlet pout and beautifully lined eyes. Those of you who wish to achieve Aishwarya’s perfect pout should go for L’Oreal Paris Infalliable Lipstick in Persistent Plum 737 or Inglot Lipstick 233.
All these looks require just the right products and a few makeup tricks and you are good to go.
Expert consulted: Ruby Biswas