Did you know like eyeliner, lipstick and blush even eyeshadow has different variants and formulations. Read on to know more.
Eyes define our face and therefore, it is crucial to dress them right. Complete eye makeup involves use of various products like eyeliner, eye pencil, eye brow pencil, kohl and not to forget eyeshadows.
Eyeshadows come in variety of colours to play with. One can choose according to one’s look, skin tone and occasion. Smokey or traditional, all the looks are incomplete without nice blend of eyeshadows. Here are the different types of eyeshadows and their applications.
– Powder Eyeshadow – The most commonly used eyeshadow is of powder formulation. Since it is easy to blend, it is most advisable and convenient for the beginners. They come in various forms like in big, duo or quad palettes, or individual pans. If you wish to invest in a basic, all purpose palette, try NYX Professional Makeup Ultimate Shadow Palette in Warm Neutrals. It’s a great option for personal use. You can also check out collections from Urban Decay, Too Faced, Bobbi Brown and Inglot.
– Liquid Eyeshadow – These are packaged in sleek tubes with wand. Hence you don’t need a separate brush for application as you can apply the product directly with the wand. However, if you want to apply it as an eyeliner, use a thin liner brush to create a precise line. The only drawback of this type of eyeshadow is that it dries too quickly without giving much time to blend. Try L’Oreal Paris Infallible Paints Eye Shadow or E.L.F. Cosmetics Aqua Beauty Molten Liquid Eyeshadow in Rose Gold (available on amazon.in)
– Cream Eyeshadow – These kinds of eyeshadows can be used as a base for other forms of eyeshadow or can be used by itself. They can either be applied with brush or finger tips. They come in pot, tube or stick form. The best part about cream eyeshadows is their ability to blend easily. My favourites are Australis Metallix Cream Eyeshadow in Guns & Rose Petals and Natio Cream Eyeshadow in Marshmallow.
– Matte Eyeshadow – These eyeshadows are free of sparkles or glitters and are subtle. They can be worn during both day and night. Dark matte shadows are recommended for people with big eyes. Mostly they are used for creating smokey look. M.A.C Carbon Black Eyeshadow is the best bet when it comes to buying a black matte or for an array of shades try Smashbox Cover Shot Eye Palette in Matte.
– Baked Eyeshadow – This is one of our favourite forms of eyeshadow. It is recommended for people of all age group. As the name suggests this eyeshadow is actually baked in an oven, not pressed. What makes this type of eyeshadow a huge hit among women is that they are not as flat as matte, has some sheen in it and has ultra-smooth and blendable formula. One can apply baked eyeshadow wet or dry. If you are looking for normal colour payoff, then use them as is. However, if you are looking for intense colour, wet your brush and apply the product with that. Try PAC Baked Eyeshadow Palette.
– Loose Pigment – This kind of an eyeshadow comes in loose powder form. Not everyone can play with these as they are difficult to apply and need practice to get it right. A point to keep in mind when opting for loose pigment is – fine-grained pigments are easy to use and stick directly on the eyelids, however, large-grained pigments require “two-way gel” like PAC Transparent Two Way Gel to stick on the lids. Try the pigments from NYX, M.A.C and Inglot.
– Metallic Eyeshadow – These eyeshadows give instant sheen to your lids. One can try Faces Glam on Palette in 01 Captivate which is a beautiful quad of shimmer metallic shadows. The texture of the same is very buttery and smooth. The shade includes bronze, rose gold, gold and pink. This quad is perfect for weddings and functions. One can also try Make Up For Ever Artist Shadow Metallic that are available in variety of shades.
– Satin Eyeshadow – This type of an eyeshadow is somewhere between a matte and a shimmer. It is neither as shiny as a shimmer nor as flat as matte. Like a lipstick, a satin eyeshadow is somewhere between a matte and a cream. They are easy to blend and very comfortable to wear and work with. Try Kryolan Satin Powder – they have the finest finish.