We tell you how to workout without any equipment or membership to a fancy gym.
At this point I think of movies like Rocky by Stallone and Shaolin Kungfu. Remember a scene in Rocky where one person works with fancy equipment in a high tech gym and Sylvester Stallone works out in jungles with no equipment. Ultimately, he is better. The real champions and fitness freaks really do not need fancy equipment.
So how to train without any equipment?
Firstly let us evaluate equipment. In any gym all over the world, what are the machines you find for cardio? Treadmill, bike, cross trainer and maybe rowing machine there is nothing else ever. Then you will find big machines to workout each body part separately. Now let us suggest the unlimited options for you to have workout without machines or for that matter without any equipment.
Cardio – Aerobics, kickboxing, tabata, boot camp, power yoga, spot jogging, spot skipping, stair climbing. Not to forget various dance related workouts like zumba, jazzercise, bhangra aerobics, Bollywood style etc. definitely you will enjoy this time like anything along with some good result that too, very less chances of injury.
Sculpting and Toning – Yoga, Pilates, calisthenics, partner workout, free hand exercises like squats, lunges, push-ups, crunches, planks etc. This list of options come with availability to do them anywhere, it can be your comfortable zone at home, office or your mini garden.
What is equipment? Anything can be your equipment if you desire to workout.
Your own body weight is the best resistance to workout against. How much weight will you lift in a gym? 5 kg, 10 kg or 20 kg. When you do a push up or a squat, you workout against your full body weight and see how many kilos it is.
- Doing quick rounds of sun salutation is a perfect cardio. Incorporate some inverted postures like headstand or plough.
- Doing a crow pose or a scorpion is tougher than doing 30 push-ups. You need not just physical strength but also mental strength to do it.
- Climb trees, mountains, go for hiking and trekking. Have an active lifestyle. Play games and sports. Our forgotten games like hopscotch or kho kho are good for agility and cardio.
- Stretching is important to make the body supple and relax the muscles. It also helps you become lean. You can stretch on your own even on the floor.
- Our super fit pehalwaans workout in akharas that are raw and rustic. They have amazing muscle strength and endurance and don’t forget ‘No machines’.
When you are not dependent on machines, you can do workout anywhere – while traveling to a different city, in your office, in hotel room and even in the aircraft. You know how to modify your regime. Amazing exercises like burpees, mountain climbing, planks, lunges, and so on do not require equipment.
So now, no more excuses, it’s time to do workout. To follow perfect routine we just need will power and persistence. Make your workout real and effective, challenging and fun. Fancy is out and raw and rustic workout is the new rage.
By Kiran Sawhney, Personal Fitness Trainer and owner at Fitnesolution